Saturday, November 13, 2010

APEX Definition: Release

Welcome to Planner's Pointer's Planners Pointers is a blog and talk cast to help beginning event planners with their event planning. Give them ideas on planning better events, books to read and websites to discover.

Today's term from the Convention Industry Council's APEX Glossary is:  Release.  There are two definitions I would like to discuss.

The first definition I would like to focus on is: A signed form giving permission to use a person’s name, picture, or statement (often in an advertisement).

In this day of instant posting on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and YouTube of pictures and videos we forget sometimes to ask for permission.  While we think the permission can be implied -- if they didn't want to be in the picture, then don't stand there -- I really think it doesn't hurt anything to simply ask if this is OK. 

When I attended Pennsylvania Governor's Conference for Women I noticed that on back of the badge was a photo release.  While it wasn't signed, it was implied that since I was an attendee, if my picture were taken that it could be used for promotional purposes.  What a great idea! 

Another definition for release is: Form signed by presenter allowing recording of presentation.  One of the ways that organizations have made additional money at conferences for years is recording the proceedings and then selling them.  In recent years companies that recorded the conference and then offered them as downloads.  Free for attendees or a small fee. 

When I worked in radio I used to record the live music performances I had performers sign releases even though the broadcast may have never been used again.  If the broadcast is recorded for later use, the release is especially important since it means the performer is satisfied with their performance.

Release.  One word with two similar meanings but based in one word: permission.

Planner's Pointers is written by me, Mary Pam Kilgore, of Kilgore Business Services, LLC  You may reach me through my website www.kilgorebusiness.com You can find my blog at http://plannerspointers.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment