Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Old Technology meet Smart Phones

Welcome to Planner's Pointer's Planners Pointers is a blog and talk cast to help beginning event planners with their event planning. Give them ideas on planning better events, books to read and websites to discover.

I was entering business card information into my contacts lists when I noticed that one of my new contacts had a phone number that spelled out a word.  What an idea!  I have always thought that being able have a phone number such as 1-800-MEETING would be really cool memory hook.  Then I looked at my smart phone and realized that it wouldn't work.  Why?  Because the keypad of on my smart phone isn't the same as a regular phone. 

The telephone keypad layout that is most familiar to us in the United States has been around since the 1960s when touch tone dialing was introduced.  There is lots of information on the web about how the keypad was developed.  One of the most interesting things that I learned was the letter assignment to particular number isn't standardized across the world. 

My Planners Pointers tip for today is:  If you want to use a phone number that spells a word -- great!  Just make sure you add the corresponding numbers on your business cards.  For example:  WORD = 9673

Planner's Pointers is written by, Mary Pam Kilgore, of Kilgore Business Services, LLC  You may reach me through my website www.kilgorebusiness.com  You can find my blog at http://plannerspointers.blogspot.com/  You can reach me by phone at 412-260-4178.  Follow me on Twitter @marypam.  

No comments:

Post a Comment