Friday, October 22, 2010

10 + 1 Ways to stay organized in the home office

Welcome to Planner's Pointer's Planners Pointers is a blog and talk cast to help beginning event planners with their event planning. Give them ideas on planning better events, books to read and websites to discover.


The ability to work from home is both a blessing and a curse for the budding entrepreneur. It's easy to get sidetracked into doing other things like the dishes, the garden and the laundry. How do you stay focused?

Here are my 10 + 1 tips to keeping you organized in your home office.

1. Don't work in your pajamas. Yes I know that is one of the joys of working from home is not having to dress for work; however I notice I get more work done if I am showered, have make up on and dressed. I don't mean a suit, jeans and a top will work. Also if you get that last minute client meeting, you will be out the door faster if you have the basics done.

2. Have a plan for the day. I think having a plan keeps you focused. I am a list maker and that really works for me. I have lists for things that need to done this week. I usually like to put them on a tablet and cross them off in a red Sharpie. There is something so satisfying about crossing them off when completed. For things done on a weekly basis I have them listed as tasks in outlook. Again checking them off is a great feeling.

3. Prioritize your day and do the most important work first. Then move on to other items on your list. In my opinion, doing your important work while you are most alert makes for fewer errors.

4. Have the tools you need ready to go. Keep your virus checker up to date. Your phone charged. Paper and toner for your printer. Reference books that you want to use. You don't want to have to leave the office in the middle just to make a run to office supply store.

5. Timer. I don't care what type of electronic timer you use, just as long as you use one. If you are charging by the hour it tells you how much time you have spent on any project. I also use it to keep track on how much time I spend on other things like answering email and other things that might not be directly related to my work,

6. Don't get lost reading email. Yes I know that if is loads of fun to click on the links and read the jokes that your brother in law forwards but it can eat up your day so fast. Set aside to read emails. First thing in the morning, 30 minutes and the perhaps another 30 in the afternoon.

7, Take some time off for lunch and leave your desk. I know that it is temping to work. But leave even for just 30 minutes. I don't mean going out to lunch just change your location within your residence or go for a walk. Walking will clear your thoughts and re-energize for the afternoon. Weight Watchers (www.weightwatchers.com) says in its literature that eating at your desk may cause you to over eat because you are not taking the time to eat your food properly. This is also the time you could, if you wanted to, put dinner in the crock pot or run the dish washer.

8. Organize how much time you spend away from your office. I have days I call office days and days I will schedule appointments. Also I like to schedule appointments in the afternoon and do more than one making sure I allow enough time between them. Also do your office errands at that time.

9. Watch your time when you are on the phone. Like reading email, I schedule my phone calls. If someone calls and it's not business related, or one of my children I will set a timer for no more than ten minutes. I know some people who screen their calls. I don't always go that far but if I can't tell from the caller ID, I will think sales person and not answer.

10. Don't turn on the TV during the day. Yes I know watching the 11:00 AM ET "Say Yes to the Dress" on TLC is your favorite guilty pleasure, but save it till 5:00 PM ET and treat it like your own version of Happy Hour. I know some who can work with the sound on in another room; I am not that person. I can listen to music and work, but not TV.

11. Have a closing time and stick to it. Yes it is tempting that once dinner is over and the kids are sleeping to go back to your desk and send emails or spend time doing a hotel site search on the Internet. Resist the urge. If you want to do something, read a book on your favorite business topic. Take time to relax at the end of the day. One thing I have discovered by having a closing time is that I sleep better.
Planner's Pointers is written by me, Mary Pam Kilgore, CMP of Kilgore Business Services, LLC You may reach me through my website http://www.kilgorebusiness.com/ You can find my blog at http://plannerspointers.blogspot.com/ You can find podcasts of Planner's Pointers at http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/73353

No comments:

Post a Comment